Friday, April 27, 2007

Z'Tejas- Costa Mesa

GameBoy and I went to Z’Tejas last night before seeing Rent at the Orange County Performing Arts Center for two reasons: its location within walking distance of the OCPAC, and its happy hour. We sat ourselves down at the last empty table in the bar area, then promptly ordered drinks- a margarita for me, and a Budweiser for him. After GameBoy walked up to the hostess stand to check, we verified that their happy hour meant half-off appetizers. I had been here several times before, mostly with my family, and GameBoy had been here once before with me. I really like the catfish beignets, so we ordered some catfish beignets and perused the menu. I normally hate fried fish, but these are coated with cornmeal and the dipping sauce has a bit of a spicy kick, which really makes a difference. That, and they don’t overcook it.

The drinks and the beignets came out, and while the waitress was there, we ordered shrimp Tostitos, a chicken quesadilla, and guacamole. The guacamole came out and it was yummy- nicely spicy unlike many versions, with tons of chips. We had some leftover, and it we hadn’t been on the way to the musical, I would have taken the leftovers home. The chicken quesadilla was fairly good, and filling to boot. I had eaten a huge lunch from Maggiano’s at work that day, so I was completely filled, and couldn’t even touch their usually yummy cornbread. GameBoy felt full too, so we sent back the shrimp tostitos, though those looked yummy too. We ended up taking the cornbread back with us, and hopefully my mom will not have tossed it by the time I get back from work today.

The best part about it was that GameBoy and I ended up having all that, plus another $1 off happy hour drink each, all for about $35 including tip. We stumbled away pleasantly buzzed and full. Happy hour, indeed.

Z’Tejas
3333 Bristol St.
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 979-7469

No comments: