Monday, April 23, 2007

Cafe Bernardo- Davis

As we checked out of out hotel, I stopped at the computer in the lobby to consult Chowhound.com for a place to go for brunch. I was quickly pointed to Cafe Bernardo, a popular cafe in downtown Davis. We parked easily a few blocks away, then walked into the restaurant, which was bustling at around 11 am on a Sunday morning. We waited in a short line to get to the counter, then ordered and sat down at a table next to the floor-to-ceiling windows looking out onto the patio and the sunny tree-lined streets.

GameBoy ordered his usual two eggs over medium, toast, and rosemary breakfast potatoes. Acting on the Chowhound revier's tip, I got the Eggs Bernardo, which was a version of Eggs Benedict. It turned out to be two poached eggs over thinly-sliced rosemary ham and toast, and topped with a delicious hollandaise sauce. I like Eggs Benedict normally, but my main experience with it is at buffet brunches. This version was yummier. The eggs were poached a little more than I would have liked, but it still tasted good. My only regret is that I didn't get extra sauce, which only cost 50 cents more. I also got a small glass of orange juice which was very fresh and high in quality.

The restaurant also offered great people-watching, clean bathrooms, and fast service, all at levels higher than typical LA brunch hot-spots. Since I'm pretty sure I want to go to UC Davis Law School next fall, I'll keep this place in mind.

Date of Visit: 4/22/07

Cafe Bernardo
234 D St.
Davis, CA

No comments: