Friday, June 8, 2007

Chat Noir- Costa Mesa

My boss gave me tickets last night to Hamlet, so GameBoy and I decided to hit up one of Costa Mesa's many happy hours. We saved the $7 valet fee by first parking in a nearby lot, which is free at night. The promotion at Chat Noir is half-off champagne cocktails and carafes of wine for the price of a glass. Given Chat Noir's inflated pricing, however, it's not that much of a deal, especially compared to Memphis, McCormick & Schmick's, or even Z'Tejas. However, it definitely has the most elegant atmosphere, which seemed like a good start to a night of Shakespeare.

Though the internet claimed Thursday night is house and trance night, the music was muted and mellow- appropriate for the restaurant, though a bit disappointing to me, because I wanted GameBoy to hear what house music is. In any event, we quickly seated ourselves at a high booth. One thing that drew my attention was the fat that the bar waitresses all wore fishnets. McCormick & Schmick's waitresses wear pleated schoolgirl skirts and knee-highs- I wonder what the target demographic is? Apparently, GameBoy, who was quite pleased by their attire. It seemed reasonably classy, though, and i helped that the restaurant as filled with respectable young and not-so-young professionals.

I had two champagne cocktails, the Chanel and the French 75. They were reasonably okay, but nothing memorable. The Chanel was a bit sweet, so I'd recommend the French 75 over that. GameBoy had the French Revolution and the Marie Antoinette. Unfortunately, I didn't get a taste of these, so I can't comment on them, other than the fact that we both got a slight kick out of the Disneyland-cute Francophile names.

We also got some overpriced unmemorable appetizers. Actually, the American sliders (bacon and cheese) weren't bad, and at $14 one of the best values on the menu. Unfortunately, I had the worst escagot I've had in a while. It was a bummer, especially since French 75 in Newport, a sister restaurant, does them reasonably well. But these were tiny, and drowning in way too muc sauce. They were also, surprisingly, not very juicy considering the fact that they were in a casserole! Skip these. Next time, I'll just go for drinks and stick with the free potato chips to eat.

Date of Visit: 6/7/07

Chat Noir
Costa Mesa, CA

No comments: