Monday, June 11, 2007

Fraiche- Culver City

Downtown Culver City isn't zoned for valet, so GameBoy dropped me off to secure our reservation, while he parked at a public parking lot down the street. Even though it was a before 7 pm on a Saturday night, the streets and sidewalks were alive with people- even more of a downtown than Downtown LA, and less shady!

I made my way to the resaurant, and was promptly seated. While our table was inside, the front is all windows that retract to open onto the large airy patio. It was a bit cold for a June night, but manageable. As I was waiting for GameBoy, the waitress brought out two half-glasses of complimentary champagne, which was a nice touch. GameBoy arrived shortly, and we examined the menu.

I have been rinking a lot at various happy hours this past week, so I suggested we forgo the drinks and focus on the food, which GameBoy happily agreed to do. We ordered two appetizers t split, the daily special of burrata with oven-roasted tomatoes and aged balsamic vinegar, and the beef tartare.

Though there was a bit of a wait for the food, we were kept happily occupied for a time with the bread and really yummy tapenade. Unfortunately, it was so good that we ate it all up right away, and it wasn't refreshed until right before our entrees come. Still, though excellednt people watching.

Our appetizers finally arrived, and I wasn't disappointed. The burrata appetizer came with two lumps of burrata- a little small- and tree tomatoes, making it easy for us to split. Since GameBoy paid for out meal, I don't know how much it was, but I'm pretty sure it was about e price of the buratta at SorTino, which gives you much more. Still, though, the tomatoes were great. The fava bean mash was okay, but really I'd like more burrata. Also, less mozzarella covering, more creamy burrata part.

The beef tartare, however, was my favorite dish all night. Two large pieces of crostini piled high with mounds of beef tartare. Instead of grinding the meat like most places, they diced it into small cubes, which showed off the flavor and quality of the meat much better. It also came with a small amount of arugula salad, which paired nicely with it. Definitely a must-get if you ever go here.

After another surprisingly long wait (especially considering how long it takes me to eat), our entrees arrived. I got the Kurobata pork chop, and GameBoy got the lamb stew. I had heard good things about the pork chop online, and wasn't disappointed. It was like taking the special pork at Santouka and eating a whole pork chop of it! Not surprising, considering that the special pork at Santouka is Kurobata, too, but, still....Tons of fat, I'm sure, which is probably why I could only eat half. But delicious. I savored every bite, and even hesitated before offering GameBoy some, becuase I know how he doesn't like fat. Trust me, this was the go type of fat. It was so good, in fact, that GameBoy's lamb stew paled in comparison. He said it was good, but I was too distrcted by my own food.

It was also a very filling meal, and after that, we skipped dessert and got doggie bags for our leftovers. Despite feeling very full, the memory of the yummy pork chop so lingered in my mind that when I woke up at 6 am the next morning, I had my leftovers with a few mimosas for brunch. In fact, I was so delighted by my experience, I half-jokingly suggested that GameBoy move to Culver City this year so we can go there more. I've heard all about the downtown gentrification, but Culver City seems to be where it's at for me...mmm..food. I'm nexly enthusistic about Culver City, and am already planning how I can check out the other places there!

Date of Visit: 6/11/07

Fraiche
Culver City, CA

No comments: