Monday, June 11, 2007

Sap Lai!

So I was talking to my friend Zond today about our lunches, and the Laotian phrase, "Sap lai!" came up. Taking advantage of a momentary lull in our GoogleChat, I quickly Googled the phrase and came up with this quote, which a poster on the forum attributes to Thanong Khanthong, as in "The Nation":

"...Isaan people, using their fingers to eat somtam Lao, exclaim “sap lai!” There is no equivalent of the word “sap” in any other language. Sap lai refers to a state of 100-times more deliciousness. Delicious stops at your tongue. Sap taste sets your tongue ablaze before sending the aroma of the food to the depths of your soul."

Isn't that phrase awesome? Gentle readers, please keep this in mind when you next hear me spouting off some random foreign phrase. And I must admit, hearing what it means has made me very curious about this oh-so-popular Tummy Stuffer. On the other hand, however, Zond regularly eats at McD's and Taco Bell, so Tummy Stuffer may only look "Sap lai!" in comparison. Stay tuned.
http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33620

No comments: